By meeting the four basic standards of a good tree care program, Halstad is recognized as a Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation. The Tree City USA program was designed to encourage better care of the nation’s community.
On Friday, April 29, 2022 Halstad Municipal Utilities Staff and their families, and Jackie Hellerud, chair of the City of Halstad Tree Board, and community volunteers planted trees in recognition of National Arbor Day.
The most common way people celebrate Arbor Day is to get together in groups to plant trees. Here are some other ways you can get involved on Arbor Day, and throughout the year:
- Celebrate Arbor Day in a personal way by planting a tree yourself. Plant trees on your own property, or volunteer with your local government agency to plant or care for trees on public land in your area.
- Read a book about trees, and learn to identify trees in your yard and neighborhood.
- Enjoy the outdoors. Visit a local park or take a nature hike, taking care to notice the different tree varieties you encounter. Bring along a field guide to help with identification.
- Attend a class on tree and plant care.
- Volunteer with a local tree-planting organization. You’ll meet new people while making a difference in your community.
Additional opportunities to volunteer to plant trees in Halstad will be held the last week in May. Contact Halstad@rrv.net to volunteer.